Saturday, September 1, 2007

An introduction.

I am Jewel Robinson, owner of The Breen Gallery in Brackettville, Texas. From 1988 through 1999 I purchased many of Bud Breen’s paintings. I never bought Breens from any other source. Bud Breen would create his paintings depicting life in the old west at his kitchen table just a few blocks from my office and, when he was ready, would hand deliver them to The Breen Gallery himself.

Mr. Breen and I had a special arrangement over the course of our eleven year association. If he painted it, then I purchased it………. although it doesn’t sound so special when it’s typed up that way. He also sold paintings to other individuals during the time we were acquainted and did many commissioned pieces, but mine was the only gallery to work with him exclusively. The Breen Gallery has always been devoted to showing and selling only his work.

During the time that I was associated with Mr. Breen I did not make note of when the various paintings we purchased from him were completed. Hindsight is 20/20. It’s unfortunate that I can’t precisely date each painting we have by him.

There is a brief biography of Bud Breen in the book, “Texas Artists, Volume II.” Bud's bio in the book was written by us at The Breen Gallery when the book was published in 1988. Unfortunately, the book has no ISBN# and is difficult to come by. But there is much information to be found online about Bud and his widow, Nakai. Bud passed away on September 1, 2005. Nakai still resides here and, to the best of my knowledge, still holds a Medicine Wheel at her house every year. There’s not much more I can tell you about him that you won’t find on the internet, although I’m happy to try and answer any questions you may have. I hope to compile a history of his life here and photographs of the area as they relate to his work.

Now, let’s talk about me! My family has owned property in Kinney County (which is where Brackettville is located) since 1971 and I have lived here since 1982. I bought the rights to the original newspaper that was printed here back before any of us were born, The Brackett News, and brought it into the future. I was the publisher of The Brackett News for 17 years before selling it just over a year ago. I have always been and continue to stay involved in the local community, most especially in regard to historical preservation.

This Blogspot is actually run by my daughter in law, Genie, as I don’t really “do” computers. I sell the paintings, make the business decisions, pay the bills, set prices… regular boss-type stuff. Mostly it’s just me but Genie helps me with the computer and online end of the Gallery's business. There isn’t much “we” to The Breen Gallery. But “we” sounds more impressive, don’t you think? So, we at The Breen Gallery thank you for taking the time to read this. We’ll be adding more of Bud’s paintings and information about the area's history (as it relates to Bud's work) to this blog as time allows and we hope you enjoy looking at the paintings as much as we do.




No comments: